Swedish Warm Chanterelle Toast with Happy Spices Garlic Puree
- 200gr-400gr fresh chanterelles
- 1/4 cup diced shallots or 1 onion
- 1-2 tablespoons Happy Spices Garlic Puree
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- fresh minced parsley and dill for garnish
- salt + pepper to taste
- crusty bread for toasts
- First, remove as much dirt as you can with your fingers or a paper towel, working gently. Then, under a delicate stream of water, remove any stubborn bits of forest floor. Note: Chanterelles absorb a lot of liquid, so it is best to wash them using as little water as possible.
- You’ll want to sweat the chanterelles to reduce their liquid. In a large pan over medium-low heat, melt half the butter or heat olive oil.
- Place your thoroughly cleaned chanterelles in, give them a stir, and cover. When they’ve sweat off most of their liquid, about 10-15 minutes, strain the mushrooms.
- Reserve the liquid for another use – you’ve now got the beginnings for a great stock or secret flavour boost. Set the mushrooms aside.
- Toast your thin slices of bread now. Set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the other half of the butter.
- Add the shallots or onion and sauté, stirring regularly, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, Happy Spices Garlic Puree, fresh herbs and salt and pepper, and stir.
- Sauté for another 5 minutes or so, until all liquid has cooked off.
- Arrange the chanterelles on toasts, sprinkle with fresh herbs, and enjoy!
April 22 2013 Monday at 08:03 PM